Post-doctoral fellow - Epigenetics - KU Leuven Belgium
One of our main goals is to provide insights in the complex interplay between environmental exposures
at different stages of development and genetic susceptibility for diseases. Understanding how
(epi)genetic changes -during development and throughout a life course- increase the risk for certain
disorders may help us to intervene where needed; and hence, prevent the disorder or disease in the
susceptible or exposed population. The Epidemiology group at the Faculty of Medicine (KU Leuven)
focuses on epigenetic aspects of early exposures. We set-up an interdisciplinary research collaboration
with the Leuven University Fertility Center (LUFC) at UZ Leuven and the Genomics Core, both located at
our campus. This collaboration includes a longitudinal study, Epigenetic Legacy of Paternal Obesity
(ELPO), where we collected data and samples from patients seeking fertility treatment. The current
research project involves assessment of epigenetic characteristics and patterns in sperm, embryos,
maternal and paternal tissues, and offspring samples.
• A PhD degree in a relevant field, such as (Epi)Genetics, Bio-Engineering, Bio-Technology,
Molecular or Cell Biology, ...
• You are highly motived and looking for an international career in Human Epigenetics.
• Extensive experience in Next-generation sequencing library preparation.
• Preferentially experienced in one of the following methods: Whole-Genome Bisulfite
Sequencing analyses, Pyrosequencing, Infinium HumanMethylation450 analyses, or related.
• A research record (publications, presentations at conferences, ...) that proves your expertise in
• A good command of English, oral and written.
• Familiar with statistical programming (such as R, SAS, SPSS,...)
• Good presentation skills and communicative
• Good organizational skills.
• It is important to be self-motivated and to manage the workload between experiment analyses,
statistical analyses, adequate reading of literature, preparing a publication, supporting and
supervising students, and writing a new grant application.
This position offers the opportunity to support your scholarship as a post-doctoral fellow for a defined
time; extendable to 1 or 2 years.
The opportunity to accelerate your skills and join a dynamic and young team, to actively participate at
international conferences, write publications and grants; supported by our team.
Your application must contain an email with subject "post-doc EPI" to firstname.lastname@example.org
• CV (academic degrees and grades, title of thesis, previous academic positions, publications, etc.)
• Name of your current supervisor and a summary of your current work (1 page).
• A motivation letter laying out your research interest and your future goals.
• Contact information of at least 3 referees.
Only selected applicants will be contacted, within 30 days after all documents have been received.
After this first selection procedure you may be asked to provide proofs of official documents (academic
degrees, doctoral degree,...).
This vacancy is open until a candidate has been selected with the skills needed; hence, we recommend
to apply as soon as possible. The foreseen start date of this position is January 1, 2018; but this is